It’s finally here! Autumn has officially hit! There’s a crispness to our morning air, the leaves are beginning to change, the days are a little bit shorter, and girls have officially broken out the PSL lattes!
I myself LOVE this season! I love the cooler weather, wearing sweaters, the smell in the air…. but mostly I love the food! The farm stand starts stocking my favorite veggies this time of year. Broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potatoes and winter squash…. one of my absolute favorites being Butternut!
I also have been known to love a good bowl of soup, so having the cool weather as an excuse to whip up a pot of soup on the regular makes me happy! I’ve already made about 3 different soups and it’s only been officially fall for a week now.
Sadly when I first met my husband he proclaimed that he HATED soup. I know! I was just as shocked as you are! How could anyone hate soup?! It’s warm, it’s comforting, filling and it’s flavorful!
This did not stop me from pumping out soup after soup on a mission to change his mind.
Happily, I can tell you that he no longer hates soup. He will eat any soup I give him and he usually asks for more! He does however favor a creamy soup (especially on colder days).
I made this particular soup after a busy day at the farm stand. One of my favorite parts of making soup is how easy it can be! You literally cut everything up, throw it in a pot and walk away. That’s the kind of dinner I can get on board with during this time of year… especially now when I’m working a full time job and helping out at the stand on weekends and I’m 5 months pregnant.
I literally stood at the farm stand after work and saw butternut squash and sweet potatoes and decided to challenge myself to a new soup. I am so glad I did because this one is definitely a new favorite!
Not only is this husband approved, but this one is also sister in law approved as well! She happened to be over for dinner that night and the two of them loved it!
So if you’re not sure to do with our butternut squash and want to try a twist on your usual butternut squash soup recipe, give this one a whirl! It is so simple, very minimal ingredients and SO delicious!
1 Butternut squash chopped
2 carrots chopped
2 sweet medium potatoes chopped
1 onion chopped
3 cloves garlic minced
1 tbs olive oil
4 cups veggie stock
1 can coconut milk
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh pepper
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp sage
1/2 tsp thyme
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chili powder
Optional topping: crumbled bacon…. I usually don’t add it because the soup is delicious on its own but my husband LOVES to!
- In a large soup pot heat olive oil and add onion and garlic. Sauté for about 2 minutes or until they begin to sweat (or the onions start to become translucent).
- Add the chopped carrots, butternut squash and sweet potato and stir. I like to let it cook for about a minute.
- Throw in your spices and stir everything together, again let them cook for another minute so the flavors can really sink into those veggies.
- Add you veggie or chicken stock and bring to a boil. Once it comes to a boil reduce to a simmer and cook for about 25 min.
- Add in your coconut milk stir well, and cook for another 5 min.
- Place soup in a blender or food processor or use my favorite tool and immersion blender to purée!
Serve it to your family, friends or company and enjoy!
Love and light,